Karelia Aviation Museum opened to the public in 2000. Aviation Museum was founded in 1996 to maintain South-Finnish Aviation Museum Association (K-SIMY). In the Continuation War Air Force units were operating from the field, until the front moved farther east and the field was left mainly for maintenance purposes. As the war was nearing its end, the field began to have a lot of activity. During the summer crisis of 1944 Lappeenranta airfield had the country’s best equipped fighter forces.
After the war, operations from the airfield were banned by the Safety Comission and weren’t re-started until the spring of 1951. Today, the field is in use by the Lappeenranta Aviation Association, and, for example foreign and home country-oriented charter flights.